HomeSportWimbledon 2022| Nick Kyrgios tight-lipped over allegations of common assault: Hard to...

Wimbledon 2022| Nick Kyrgios tight-lipped over allegations of common assault: Hard to focus on tennis

[ad_1]

Nick Kyrgios remained tight-lipped over allegations of common assault on a former girlfriend after reaching the Wimbledon semi-final for the first time in his career on Wednesday.

Wimbledon 2022: Nick Kyrgios finds it ‘hard to focus’ on tennis after assault allegation (Reuters Photo)

Wimbledon 2022: Nick Kyrgios finds it ‘hard to focus’ on tennis after assault allegation (Reuters Photo)

HIGHLIGHTS

  • Nick Kyrgios finds it ‘hard to focus’ on tennis after assault allegation
  • Kyrgios reached the Wimbledon semi-final for the first time in his career
  • Local police confirmed Kyrgios had to appear in a Canberra court next month

Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios, who reached the Wimbledon semi-final for the first time in his career, admitted that he is struggling to focus on tennis after allegations of a common assault on a former girlfriend. Kyrgios made headlines for the right reasons on Wednesday when he beat Garin in three sets, but afterwards he was asked about the allegations.

“Obviously I have a lot of thoughts, a lot of things I want to say, kind of my side about it,” he said. “I’ve been advised by my lawyers that I’m unable to say anything at this time. “Look, I understand everyone wants to kind of ask about it and all that, but I can’t give you too much on that right now.”

He did say, however, that it had been hard to read the stories in the build-up to his match, but that he had not let them affect his performance on the court. “Didn’t really affect me at all, to be honest with you,” he said. “Obviously seeing it — I’m only human. Obviously, everyone else was asking questions. It was hard.

“It was hard to kind of just focus on kind of the mission at hand. It was the quarter-finals of Wimbledon today. I know deep down that’s what I was prepared for.” A statement from Australian Capital Territory Policing on Tuesday did not identify Kyrgios but The Canberra Times quoted the lawyer of the former world number 13 as saying that the charge was related to a “domestic relationship”.

“ACT Policing can confirm a 27-year-old Watson man is scheduled to face the ACT Magistrates court on the 2nd of August in relation to one charge of common assault following an incident in December 2021,” the police said.

— ENDS —

[ad_2]

Source link

RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular

Recent Comments